As someone who comes from a long line of military families I can attest to some of the difficulties faced when choosing the military lifestyle. Now that I am part of the Military Families Learning Network, I would like to share some of the reasons why I am so passionate about working with these amazing families.
- Military families are strong! Military families face enormous amounts of stress yet their strength shines through, all the time, every time!
- Military families are passionate! They give everything they can to their country and responsibilities with a service oriented mind, body and soul.
- Military families have a great sense of humor. Even in the face of deployments, stress, war, and injuries they never forget to laugh.
- Military families always give! No matter how bad things get, military families are always there to lend a hand. From caring for another’s children, to helping those who are sick or injured, the support military families offer to others is ingrained in the culture.
- Military families are amazingly resilient! Our service members deal with multiple deployments, have lived through a decade of war, relocate regularly and often co-parent at a distance. Yet, they consistently display an intense level of resiliency.
- The children of military families are amazing too! They adapt through multiple school transfers, sometimes adapting to multiple cultures, deal with being separated from their deployed parent(s), and sometimes deal with serious injuries when a wounded warrior comes home. They struggle with missing their loved ones, family and friends yet they are brave and resilient through it all.
- Military families take their service seriously. When a service member enlists, it is not a small decision, it is a family decision. At an event to honor Military children, First Lady Michelle Obama expressed her gratitude for military families by stating, “When we talk about service to our country, when we talk about all that sacrifice for a cause, when we talk about patriotism and courage and resilience, we’re not just talking about our troops and our veterans, we’re talking about our military families, as well.” We couldn’t have said it better.
- The extended family of a military family serves our country too! Parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins and more consistently open their homes to children during deployments. They send care packages to their soldier, and offer unwavering support to the service family. These family members never fail to serve right alongside their soldiers.
- The love of a military spouse is like a rock! From maintaining a positive attitude during the stress of deployment, to playing the role of single parent, to their unconditional love, support and devotion to their service member, military spouses serve their country just as much as their soldier.
- Military families stand behind their service member! While loved ones may wipe away the tears when a soldier is deployed, they support that soldier with all their heart. They remain steadfast through the difficult times and the happy times because they know how much it means to their soldier to serve his or her country. And for military families, that is reason enough.
Check out the videos below to learn other reasons why member of the Military Families Learning Network are so passionate about serving military families!
Now it’s your turn, why are you passionate about serving military families?
Share your story in the comments section below.